Monday, May 14, 2012

Be Glad.

We had one of those rough mornings that happen occasionally.
A certain child, who shall remain unnamed, was bound and determined to crack me.
But I prevailed. And he had a nap. ;)
I've realized it's often the little things that I let affect me the most. When my husband was without a job, I was hopeful.  When the kids were littler, and one went through ear infection after ear infection, surgery, speech therapy....I was hopeful. I believed he would get better. And he did.
But when a child is having a meltdown day...or when I'm stuck in traffic and running late to an important appointment... those are the times when I am more likely to forget my joy.
As a reminder ( at least until it rains) I wrote out a little note for my driveway:

May we all remember that Joy is portable! Happiness is a choice. Circumstances (big OR small) don't need to set the mood.

Maybe Abraham Lincoln said it best, "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Amen, dude. Amen.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

At our house we say 'It's just a bug on the wall.' when we get stressed about something. My husband has said it to me since I've met him. In other words, tomorrow, will I even remember the bug I noticed on the wall? In the span of our lives this stressful thing is so small really.

Living with disease every day has made so many stressful things less important. I don't worry about them nearly as much as I used to. I'm late for an app? - I can't get there faster so just I just get there. My furniture is old & ragged? It really doesn't matter when someone I love is so sick.

Thanks for the reminder! :o)

ThePaintedPisces said...

That is a great reminder...