Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Water Table

This was a quick and easy idea from No Time for Flashcards: a DIY Water Play Table.

I emptied an "extra" bin (now there are jeans, that were once neatly folded and stored under the bed, strewn across the floor in the playroom,) and filled it with water, on the picnic table. It wasn't warm enough to swim yesterday, but certainly warm enough for water play. I gave Little Lad and Dash some cups, toys, basters, squirt catsup and mustard bottles, and funnels and they had a grand 'ole time!

This is another great "sensory" activity.

As soon as the rain passes, we'll conduct some experiments on floating/ sinking, and things that dissolve in water. Maybe some freezing/ thawing activities, too. Will an ice cube melt faster in the cold water, on the table in the shade, or on the table in the sun? Then we'll test those theories. :-) Fun learning to be had with water!


We played outside most of the day, drew pictures, read stories, and ended the day with a family firepit night and watermelon. It was the perfect day.

After Little Lad ate part of the rind last week, he was much more cautious this time around!


KFF

3 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love watermelon pictures - they just scream, "summer's here!" I am looking forward to a warmer weather :)

Cindy said...

I love the water table idea! The watermelon pictures are great! Now I'm hungry for some watermelon!!

sbswtp said...

Thanks for reminding me of this activity!!! It looks like they had fun:) I love the pictures of the Watermelon!