Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mimi-- Papaw's note

54 years together, an anniversary picture of Mimi and Papaw

We received this email from Papaw this morning:

Jeannine and I are writing down all the things that Mimi says (and they are not many, but they are priceless). Beginning with Saturday, January 9, she began awakening out of her sleep and sometimes would just say something. Sometimes there would be a response to something we say, other times, she falls back to sleep.

Saturday, early evening: Mimi spoke out suddenly and all she said was, "I love you all! Good-bye."

*****************************

Monday, January 11, 2010 about 8:30 AM Mimi woke up and just started talking, "You guys want to know what I’m thankful for? [And she struggled to free her hand from the sheet so that she could gesture "one", "two."] It’s been such a wonderful trip [her life; her journey of life] with a wonderful Lord and a wonderful husband."

************************

Earlier Monday AM this dialogue

Mom: What time do we need to leave?

Jeannine: We don’t have to go anywhere.

Mom: I know that!

Jeannine: Mom, you can leave anytime you want. It’s time now–whenever God is ready.

Mom smiled a tiny bit.

Then–

Mom: I needed you more than I knew.

Jeannine: I love you so much, Mom.

Mom: I know that.

*******************

8:50 AM Monday Jan 11:

I was sitting in the chair just watching her and thinking about her and she opened her eyes and said, "Thank you, Wendy and thank you, everyone." And that’s all she said.

******************

Later in the day on Monday, Jan. 11:

Mom woke up and Jeannine told her we were so sorry she is suffering.

She opened her eyes really wide for the first time in awhile and said, "I am really not suffering." And she said "No" to questions about pain, nausea, thirst. Then Jeannine let her sip a little water with a straw.

Mom said Yes to reading a Psalm. Jeannine softly read many Psalms while she fell back asleep.

***************

Mon. later in the morning,

Papaw said quietly, "She’s sleeping peacefully." And Mimi opened her eyes and saw Jeannine and smiled.

Jeannine said, "Mom, you’re awake and smiling."

Mimi said, "It takes a lot to keep me from smiling. I feel that God has given me so much happiness!"

**********************

What an incredible situation: here we all are grieving and weeping that we are going to be separated from Mimi for a few years and there she is lying in the bed, so very weak and unable to do hardly anything and she still manages to comfort us by her so sweet words! Take them to heart, Dear Children.

Love,

Papaw (for Mimi)

Papaw is right. Mimi, in spite of everything she's been going through, continues to comfort me when I am grieving. The last time I spoke to her, I couldn't help crying on the phone. She told me that it was okay. She is ready to go. She wants to go. And then she reminded me of how much time we had, how many memories we built. And we will see each other again. she is going now to a place more incredible, more joyful and amazing than I can possibly imagine.

1 Thes. 4:13 Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Thanks for sharing such tender blessings from your Mimi. Praying for you in this difficult time.
Shirley
ps - the painting is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wendy I know your pain & ache with you.

Jenny

Ms Debbie said...

MiMi sounds like an amazing woman. I hope I am able to face my moms journey home the way you and your mother have .. with faith and grace. Thanks for being an inspiration . Prayers for your family.

Wendy said...

Thank you, Ladies. Mimi is an amazing woman. She was a school teacher and then a missionary, so she has touched many MANY lives.

Shirley, my sister painted that portrait of Mimi and me hugging. I love it.

Debbie, I'm grieving my loss here, but Mimi continues to comfort me with memories and The Promises that we have.

Dana said...

The Bible tells us that "now we see through a glass dimly, but then we shall see face to face." I've often wondered if our vision doesn't get better and better as we get closer to the end of our journey here on Earth and prepare for the beginning of our forever life with Him in Heaven.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

What a sweet lady Mimi sounds like, such a treasure for you and your family!!