Friday, October 10, 2008

multiplying rewards

I told The Artist about a week or so ago that I would take her out to eat, at a restaurant of her choice, when she has all of her multiplication tables, up to 12, memorized. That means she needs to get 100% correct on a timed test.

I had no idea what kind of motivation that would be! She is a hard worker anyway, but now she is spending every spare moment studying. And she is using every spare moment of mine to quiz her, check more worksheet pages, and do flashcards. She just completed an entire multiplication book. Oh, my!! Maybe I should offer rewards more often??

But, no, that is what makes it so special.

The Nature Man gets the same reward for his addition/ subtraction...yet he isn't quite so motivated. Maybe if I offered to get him a snake?? ;-) Just kidding.

2 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

This was a big deal to my 6 yo, too. He was so proud - right after Xmas last year - when he was finally able to fill out the 12x12 grid. I never thought to time him. He still struggles with the middle of the 6, 7 and 8s. those are tough ones to memorize!

Congrats to your little Smartie!

Ann-Marie said...

I agree - those eights are tough. I wonder what it is about the number 8.

What a great idea to motivate your daughter! I'm sure she'll do a wonderful job.