Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Works for Wendy Wednesday--I SPY jars and books

Originally I had planned to use our entire spring break to build the playset. In light of our recent flooding, though, we have chosen instead to craft and craft and craft some more!!


Yesterday we started out making I SPY jars, a wonderful idea from Angela. We filled jars with beads, beans, and other little trinkets and things to search for. Ethan turns it this way and that to find the orange tack, the silver frog, the yellow teddy bear, and so forth. Wonderful idea! This will be Great for the van-trips.
Ethan is so totally obsessed with the I SPY books. We also love the hidden pictures in Graeme Base books. Truly amazing.

So next we decided to make our own I SPY books! The kids worked hard cutting out all of the pictures, for themed pages. This first one is a random collage.



I SPY... 5 Ethans, 2 Grandfather clocks, a violin, two lanterns, Uncle Adam, a flying cow...and so forth...

Then our Garden page, with hidden food. I SPY...two mad carrots, 2 plates of spaghetti, 3 eggs, 2 apples, 4 bananas, and so on...


This is our People Page. I SPY... 6 pairs of glasses, a gold bracelet, 2 potted flags and a potted child, 4 Isabelles, binoculars, a blindfolded chicken...

We did six 2-page spreads (using an old calender, turned sideways for our "book,") and the kids are having a blast searching for the things they cut out, as well as pictures of them, and our family and friends. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner!

We used glue-all to put the pictures on, and then modge podged over it, to better protect the surface.



I'm also going to post pictures of the lovely nest from Jerri, as well as my forced branches, and blown eggs on the Art Page. :-)



New pictures of Suzanne and Jerri's families will be on ForgetMeNots later today. The rest of the families that had appts on the 8th will be on the site by this weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are both very fun I spy ideas!

Jennifer P. said...

What a FUN idea! My kids are really into the "I Spy" stuff too.

Glad you got you tooth out. I went through the wisdom tooth stuff about 6 years ago and wondered why oh why didn't i have them removed when I was a teenager under my MOM'S insurance?!?! :) Hope you're feeling better and can eat what you'd like now.

Best to you!

Angela DeRossett said...

I LOVE it!!!!!! So glad you liked the jar idea, now I am going to have to use your book idea. They look like they came out wonderful!!!!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

That is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to try it!!! Love it, love it, love it!!! (just wish my brain could come up with something like that! :0) )

Adelia said...

We love I Spy!!!! We've done the book, but not the jar. Genius...you ladies are just genius! Fun, fun, fun!

Anonymous said...

oh, i'm so stealing the i-spy calendar idea!!!