Saturday, January 5, 2008

Okay, I'm gonna post a resolution like everyone else!

It's that time again, huh? New Year's Resolutions. And, yes, I realize that I'm already procrastinating, given that it's the 5th of January.

This year I have ONE goal. Yes, just one. But it's a biggie.

I want to reclaim my time. I don't want it to disappear. Does it ever seem that you start out the day, with grand plans of all the things you'll accomplish...and then you look at your list at the end of the day and one thing has been crossed off...and it's not even an important thing? That seemed to happen all too often last year. I had too many balls in the air. And too many interruptions.

So...more specifically, I want a working schedule. I want to make sure to do the important things: spend time with and teach my kids, and spend time with my husband, and spend time with my Lord. The important things need to trump the urgent things, like phone calls and errands, etc.

Not everything has to get done. And there are only 24 hours in a day. This is so hard for me. I wrote out all of the things that I need to do in a day, and I really need at least 5 more hours!!! Or I need to be able to run on a lot less sleep.

Ah, but I'm saying "need," right? What really needs to be done? Okay, so then I eliminated and cut down on the amount of time that I really spend doing certain things. I need to do laundry faster in order to have more game-time with family in the evening. You get the idea.

I'm a fairly clean person. The house gets messy, but I really can't stand that. It drives me crazy and I feel like I can't function. I like to wake up to a clean house and I have a VERY hard time concentrating on schoolwork if there are messes all around me. So we will straighten up, then start school. And, since I know that laundry will be done at 2pm, I won't need to worry about it all day. It's time is coming. I can relax and enjoy the moment, the smiles, the kids and their cuteness.

I also want to start spending 15 minutes a day alone with each child doing whatever he/ she wants. Isabelle has already told me that on Monday (when we implement the new plan) she wants to spend her 15 minutes sketching with me. Of course, we do that for art all the time, but she is excited that it will be just me and her. :-) Ethan wants me to play dinosaurs. "And not math dinosaurs," he said. Heh heh. He caught on early that when the sharp tooth ate one of those four long-neck dinosaurs,leaving three left, I was really sneaking in math. Trevor would be content to ride around on my back. That suits me, too. Fun and exercise!

And I want to claim one evening a week for family time. Nothing can interrupt or mess that up. We just get too busy, all going in different directions. We're tied to lots of great organizations/ functions, but then we don't have time to relax and just take walks and go hiking and play games.

Now you can share your resolutions, or give me tips for mine! :-)

7 comments:

Wendy said...

by the way, for one of my interruption busters, we're getting our home phone shut off on Monday. Just cell phones from now on. And, you know me, I'm no slave to answering my phone. Sooo, if it's a good time I'll talk to ya, but otherwise I'll call you back! :-) And you can do the same with me.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, you will never be able to have a perfect schedule when you have four children and are home schooling. Things happen that don't fit into any time slot. The best way to deal with that is to just do what must be done and let the other things wait and don't fret about what isn't done. Just try very hard to enjoy each thing that you do whether it was planned or not. I remember the years when I had 4 little ones, and I didn't even try to get everything done each day, yet it all worked out--somedays better than others. When you get my age, you realize that the time spent with a child when they needed mommie was much more important than whether everything in the house was exactly as you wanted it. As they get a bit older and learn more and more about cleaning up after themselves, it will be easier, but being a home schooling mom means that you will always have busy days and unplanned things happening. Doesn't matter, just do your best and don't let it get next to you.
Mimi

Jerri Dalrymple said...

For starters, I second your MIMI's post...she sounds very wise! I too have learned some of this. I once was a perfectionist, but I didn't "play" with my children. When my oldest started showing perfectionist tendencies (about age 7 when it got REALLY bad, esp. in public school) I knew something had to give. I did not want her to grow up being as hard on herself as I was/am on myself. Now that we are homeschooling, and I have 3 children, I let things go. I have to! I still feel like I don't "play" with them enough, but there are other factors involved w/ that as you well know. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not training my 3 daughters to be HORRIBLE housekeepers....I truly hope that's not the case. I just know I only get so much time with them and I don't want to waste it or look back and think "Wow...I had a nicely kept house, but I sure wish I'd played w/ my kids more." I know this is also not what you are implying w/ your new schedule, but be careful not to be too rigid on yourself...it'll only make YOU more miserable! One thing I'm not sure about that your MIMI said..."As they get a bit older and learn more and more about cleaning up after themselves, it will be easier..." My 2 oldest are 12 and 10 now and I think they help LESS than they did at 5 and 7!!! Help me, MIMI! LOL I have to ride them like Zorro to get them to do ANYTHING! LOL :0)

Anonymous said...

I vote you have one day a week that you go to bed without cleaning house. Obviously this would not be a day you needed it clean 1st thing in the morning the following day - and get a full night's sleep. It can vary each week, but 1 night a week, there can be things on the floor when you go to bed. - sd

Ann-Marie said...

I don't mean to rub this in...but did you know, I recently cleaned my desk? Yep, I did.

So, I'm like an expert on NYR, and I say you can defintely do whatver you set your mind to! Good luck.

Heft does of sarcasm in the beginning statements, just FYI!

Wendy said...

sd,
SO nice to see you comment!!! :-)

Well, invariably I have a night like that. Last night was one...with the tornado sirens going off forever, it made tidying up rather difficult!! Usually I'm more relaxed on Saturday night when Fred is able to stay up late with me.

Wendy said...

Jerri,
Mimi is my mom's mom and she is a vast well of wisdom. I take her advice seriously! :-) Thanks for writing to me, Mimi.

Ann-Marie, you totally crack me up. And congrats again on the clean desk!!