Friday, October 12, 2007

A kid-friendly kitchen

Okay, so I took Suzanne's advice and rearranged my kitchen. Now the glasses and plates, bowls, etc are all down in the lower cupboards. The pots and pans and plasticware are up high. Why? So my kids can unload the dishwasher! YEA! It works!!! I haven't unloaded my dishwasher for five days. FIVE days! I'm so happy. And the kids are happy, too. Who knew that they would enjoy unloading the dishwasher.

So thank you to Suzanne. What other tips do you have??

4 comments:

Adelia said...

What a fantastic idea. Suzanne should not refer to herself as Mother Inferior, ah, she's genius. Now, to take time to rearrange my kitchen! (If only we had 2 more hours in the day.) Thanks Suzanne and Wendy for the great idea!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Not to rain on your parade, but better to be prepared, right? My girls, ages 12, 10, and 4.5 unload our dishwasher, as well. The 10 and 12 year olds loved this "privelege" at ages 7, 8, even 9! Now....it is "THE DREADED CHORE". It's another on a long list of things that I end up "nagging" them about doing. Also...while 6, 7, 8 yr olds may innocently put up a dish or two that is dirty, or put a dirty fork or two in the dishwasher full of CLEAN dishes....the older they get, the more they seem to do these things! I don't know how many times I've woken up, poured that first cup of coffee (with eyes barely open, certainly not alert), drank coffee, only to find some really interesting stuff at the bottom of the cup when I'm done. Hmmm.... you'd think I'd learn to look! :) Ah, ladies...enjoy the "eager helpers" while it lasts! LOL

Ann-Marie said...

Do you think this would work on husbands, too? Mine's not even sure where the dishwasher is. If you asked him, he'd probably point to me. :-)

Wendy said...

Hahaha. Jerri, our toddler continues to put dirty silverware back in the drawer. And plates in the trash. But he is only 2!